Areas of Research
- Academic Leadership Development and Scholarship
- Research capacity development (NRF funded)
- Workforce issues, leadership and creating positive work environments (patient, staff and organisational outcomes), inclusive of HEI’s work environments
- Health Science Education
- Experienced researcher with the ability to identify research possibilities and generate research interests
- Supervision of master’s and doctoral research studies (60+) (Appendix B)
- Author of peer reviewed articles in national and international publications (Appendix C).
- Author of textbooks, contribution to textbooks and integrated study guides (Appendix D)
- Presented research papers at numerous international conferences (Appendix E)
- Research projects (Appendix F)
- A list of acquired research funding (Appendix G)
- Member of Cochrane Qualitative Research Methods Group (mrw.interscience.wiley.com/Cochrane/clabout/articles/…/frame.html)
- Served on the Ethics Committee of Health Sciences Faculty, NWU (2005-2011)
Additional Research Activities:
- Member of SA Academy for Science and Art (Inducted June 2010)
- Fellow of South African Academy of Nursing (FANSA)
- Editor and editorial board roles:
- Editor-in-Chief of Elsevier International Journal for Africa Nursing Sciences (IJANS)
- Member of the Editorial Board for the International Journal of Nursing for the Older Person (Blackwell Publication)
- Member of the Editorial Board for Nursing and Health Studies (Blackwell Publication)
- Member of the Editorial Board of Curationis (Oasis open access peer-reviewed Journal)
- Member of the Editorial Board of the International Journal Contemporary Nurse (2003 to date)
- Serve as member of Faculty Research Committee (2006-2011)
- Served on the Management Team of the East Africa Capacity Building Project for Masters degree in Tanzania and Kenya (Funded through the Ford Foundation and NEPAD) (2006-2011)
- Reviewer for Medical Research Council (MRC) of South Africa from 2002 to date.
- Reviewer for National Research Foundation (NRF) of South Africa from 1998 to date.
- Reviewer for National Research Foundation (NRF) of South Africa from 2002 to date as National Evaluator for rating of scientists.
- Reviewer for international journals, i.e. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, Contemporary Nurse, Reflection of Leadership, Qualitative Health Research, Health Policy and Systems, Nursing and Health Studies, Curationis, Journal for the Nursing of Older Persons, Health SA, International Journal of Nursing Studies, Qualitative Health Research, Lancet.
Hester Klopper is an experienced researcher with the ability to identify research possibilities, conceptualise and generate research interests. Her programme of research centers around leadership, workforce issues, staff and patient outcomes, positive practice environments, policy and theory generation.
Hester Klopper has been the supervisor of more than 40 completed Master’s students and 25 PhD students. She has published monographs, textbooks or chapters in textbooks, integrated study guides, and more than 30 articles in peer-reviewed journals. An article published in the Journal of Clinical Nursing, June 2006, with one of her doctoral students, Dr. C. Bodkin, received the Flagship Article Award for most outstanding research manuscript, followed by several international press releases, i.e., Ireland, USA, China, Australia, South Africa, and the UK. This article also received the Presidential Award for the Best Published Article, at the 6th Annual Conference of Tau Lambda-at-Large Chapter of Sigma Theta Tau International on the 4th August 2006. Hester Klopper has presented her research and scholarly work at more than 100 international conferences, and has been invited as a keynote/plenary speaker to more than 20 international conferences.
Hester Klopper serves on the editorial boards of the following research journals: Nursing and Health Sciences (Blackwell Publication); International Journal for Nursing of Older People (Blackwell Publishers); Contemporary Nurse (Australian based); and Curationis (South African based). Furthermore, she acts as reviewer for at least ten journals i.e. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, Contemporary Nurse, Reflection of Leadership, Qualitative Health Research, Health Policy and Systems, Nursing and Health Studies, Curationis, Journal for the Nursing of Older Persons, Health SA, International Journal of Nursing Practice, Qualitative Health Research, Lancet.
Hester Klopper has completed eleven independent research projects and has another nine in process. She, as an individual or part of a research group, has successfully obtained over 25 avenues of national and international funding for research projects. She also serves as a reviewer for the Medical Research Council (MRC) of South Africa from 2002 and the National Research Foundation (NRF) of South Africa from 1998. She is also a member of the Cochrane Qualitative Research Methods Group (http://www.joannabriggs.edu.au/cqrmg/about.html) and is listed as a Scientific Expert on Labome (http://www.labome.org/topics/health/nursing)